FIND YOUR INNER MONKEY
Every month at Vikasa we are offer a ‘Pose of the Month’ challenge to help inspire and educate our global Vikasa community on new poses that you can try yourself and work on mastering at home.
Every month provide you with a detailed blog post with all the details about the pose, plus a 20 minute video where the pose of the month is used as the Peak Pose in the class.
PLUS, you can get involved!
Share a post of you doing your version of the pose of the month and go into the running to WIN our full Online 200hr Foundation Yoga Teacher Training (valued at $1,000) This online training enables you to become a certified yoga teacher and teach anywhere around the world.
All you need to do to enter is:
- Share a post in your IG feed of you doing the pose of the month
- Tag us IN the post
- Share it to your stories and tag us
We hope you enjoy learning and advancing each month with us and we’re excited to gift one lucky winner a month with the chance to become a Vikasa yoga teacher too.
This months Pose of the Month is HANUMANASANA- Splits Pose. Scroll down for a FREE CLASS with Jovan!
In the vast landscape of yoga, where each pose is a unique expression of strength, flexibility, and mindfulness, Hanumanasana, commonly known as Splits Pose, stands as a testament to the fusion of physical prowess and spiritual connection. Named after Lord Hanuman, the monkey god in Hindu mythology, this pose symbolizes courage, devotion, and unwavering focus. Let’s delve into the intricacies of Hanumanasana, exploring its essence, benefits, and modifications for practitioners at all levels.
Hanumanasana is a deep and dynamic yoga pose that demands openness in the hips, thighs, and hamstrings. It emulates the legendary leap of Lord Hanuman from the southern tip of India to the island of Sri Lanka in one mighty stride. Beyond the physical aspects, Hanumanasana invites practitioners to channel their inner strength, balance, and resilience.
How to Perform Hanumanasana:
- Begin in a Low Lunge: Start in a low lunge position with your right foot forward and left foot extended back, both hands resting on the mat.
- Shift Your Weight: Gradually shift your weight onto your right foot as you slide your left foot backward. Keep your hands on the floor to support the movement.
- Extend Your Leg: As you slide your left foot back, extend the leg fully, keeping it straight and active. Simultaneously, lower your hips toward the mat.
- Alignment Matters: Ensure that your hips are squared and facing forward. The front knee should be directly above the ankle, and the back leg should be straight and engaged.
- Find Your Edge: Gradually lower your hips as far as comfortable, finding your edge without forcing the stretch. Listen to your body and breathe deeply into the pose.
- Repeat on the Other Side: To balance the pose, switch sides and repeat the steps, ensuring both legs get equal attention and stretch.
Benefits of Hanumanasana:
- Improved Flexibility: Hanumanasana is an unparalleled stretch for the thighs, hamstrings, and groins, enhancing overall flexibility.
- Strengthens Muscles: This pose engages and strengthens the muscles in the legs, core, and hips, promoting stability and balance.
- Hip Opener: The deep stretch in the hips helps release tension and opens up the hip flexors, which is particularly beneficial for individuals who spend long hours sitting.
- Emotional Release: The intensity of the pose can lead to emotional release, allowing practitioners to let go of stress and tension stored in the hip region.
- Cultivates Patience and Focus: Hanumanasana demands patience and focus, encouraging practitioners to stay present and centered in the moment.
Modifications and Options:
- Use Props: Place yoga blocks under your hands for added support, gradually lowering them as you gain flexibility.
- Elevate the Hips: Sit on a cushion or block to lift the hips slightly, reducing strain on the hamstrings.
For Advanced Practitioners:
- Deepen the Stretch: Once in the pose, experiment with folding forward over the front leg to deepen the stretch.
- Add a Twist: Incorporate a gentle twist by placing the opposite elbow on the outside of the front knee, enhancing the pose’s benefits.
Free Online Yoga Class: Practice Hanumanasana with Jovan.
Hanumanasana, the Splits Pose, invites you on a journey of self-discovery, challenging both body and mind to unlock hidden potential. As you explore this iconic pose, remember that yoga is a personal practice, and each expression of a pose is unique. Approach Hanumanasana with respect for your body, celebrate your progress, and relish the journey of growth and transformation that unfolds on and off the mat.
Press play below to join Jovan for a free yoga class, and don’t forget to tag us on Instagram in your version of Hanumanasana to go into the running to win a full 200hr Online Yoga Teacher Training and become a certified Vikasa Yoga Teacher.